“People come to church longing for, yearning for, hoping for … a sense of roots, place, belonging, sharing and caring. People come to a church with a search for community, not committee.” — Glenn Turner
Focus: Personal sharing and exploration of the monthly theme in a small group environment
Format: High Plains Church has a vibrant small group ministry called Covenant Groups. Groups of 6-12 people meet once a month to share their hopes and hurts, discuss spiritual and life issues, and grow in relationship. They are led by a trained facilitator and work from topics related to a monthly theme.
Date/Time/Place: Members homes, HPCUU facilities, or coffee shops around town.
How can you join a group?
To join a group or for more information, please contact Beth Blakney-Ingham.
Goals of Small Group Ministry
The Small Group Ministry program deepens and broadens personal spiritual growth. This is done through five components:
- Listening: Deep listening is gift for both the speaker and the listener. A connection forms when we share and give this gift to each other.
- Worship: Worship is central to the life of our congregation. Small Group Ministry augments and strengthens our shared experience.
- Community: Small groups meet the need for connection and intimacy that is both a hunger in our society and essential to the ongoing life of a religious community.
- Learning: People come to the church seeking spiritual growth, seeking to know themselves better, to grow into their understanding of the world and to ponder the age old questions of faith: how to live, what to believe, how to act, what meanings we can decipher from the mystery of life.
- Service: A life of faith is a life of service. As human beings, we seek to be of use, and a healthy congregation needs to provide avenues through which we may serve.